M-1 Vocational & Nonacademic Student Visa

The M-1 visa category includes students in vocational or other nonacademic programs, other than language training. This visa category is very similar to the F-1 visa for academic and language students, except that it is for foreign students who are pursuing a full course of study at a vocational school or other recognized non-academic institution. An M-1 may transfer schools but he/she may not change the focus of his/her studies. Study at a community college or junior college would qualify for M-1 status.

M-1 students may engage in practical training only after they have completed their studies, but they can also work part-time at an on-campus job. Any off-campus employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.

Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may join you in the U.S. if they have nonimmigrant M-2 status. Although M-1 and M-2 visa holders are not allowed to work, M-1 holders may apply for an extension of up to six months for practical training. If you lose your status, your spouse and children will also lose their status.

Please contact us to schedule a first free consultation on how to get a student visa in the U.S.