B-2 Visitor for Pleasure

B-2 visas are for people who are entering the U.S. for pleasure or tourism recreational in nature, including tourism, amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, or other non-business pruposes. B-2 visas may also be issued to foreign nationals coming to the United States for medical treatment or attending non-business conventions, conferences or meetings. , and participation by amateurs, who will receive no remuneration, in musical, sports and similar events or contests.

B visitors are admitted for periods not to exceed six months and in some circumstances may extend their stay for up to one year. Most visitors are admitted for an initial 6 month period, but the Department of Homeland Security inspector at the port of entry has authority to inquire as to the purpose of the visit and to admit the visitor for a period of time the inspector determines sufficient for the activity. Extensions of time in B status may be requested within the U.S. from USCIS.

B-1 B-2 For Canadians

NAFTA expands the B-1 category for Canadian citizens and as a result, the application process is not only easier for Canadians as they do not need a visa prior to entry. Like the TN status, the application process is conducted at a port of entry., In addition, Canadians are also permitted to partake in a wider range of activities on a B-1 as compared to citizens of other countries. The initial maximum duration of status for a B-1 under NAFTA is one year.

For assistance with the preparation and filing, or extension of a B-1 or B-2 application, please contact us at info@fuessel-law.com. We will review the purpose of your trip to determine whether the B visa category is appropriate for your visit, draft your visa application and assist you in preparing documentation to help establish eligibility for the visa. We can also assist companies in determining whether a B-1 visa can be used in lieu of an H-1B visa or other employment based visa in certain circumstances.