Student & Trainee Visas

If you are coming to the U.S. to study or train, you will have a wide range of educational and training opportunities from basic English language training to University degrees and internships and traineeships with U.S employers. Foreign national students and who want to study in the U.S. usually apply for the F-1 visa. Vocational students most often apply for M-1 status. Internship and traineeship applicants may use the J-1 or H-3 visas.

In any event, the student, intern or trainee must show that they have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of the program, that they maintain a residence abroad and that they are not  coming to the U.S. with the intention of staying permanently. For F-1 and M-1 status, you must be enrolled in an “academic” educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program, your school must be approved by USCIS, and you must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency.

Students and Vocational Trainees face complex compliance rules. Individuals who fail to maintain a full course load, transfer school programs without authorization or who participate in unauthorized employment are subject to deportation.

For assistance with the preparation and filing, extension or comliance matters of a student or trainee visa, please contact us at We will review the matter and assist you in preparing documentation to help establish eligibility for the visa.